Outrigger: A beam which extends from the lower works of a crane to increase the crane’s stability. The beams may be either extendible/retractible or fixed length and typically utilize some type of pad to distribute loads to the ground surface. ( Source: A Glossary of Common Crane and Rigging Terms.
What is the purpose of outrigger pads?
An outrigger pad is a safety tool that can be used with any equipment that has outriggers, down jacks or stabilizers. It is a must for stability when a piece of equipment – such as a crane – lifts loads or personnel aloft.
How are outrigger loads calculated for cranes?
Calculate the FORCE exerted on the ground (i.e. crane weight and attachments, plus load weight and rigging) Obtain the Ground Bearing Capacity (GBC) permitted for the soil you are set-up on. This is the PRESSURE the soil can withstand. Determine AREA by calculating FORCE ÷ PRESSURE.
What guidelines should you follow when using a crane with outriggers?
- If a crane has outriggers they should be used on every lift.
- All outriggers on a crane must be used if an outrigger load chart is being used for calculating load capacities.
- Even on ideal, solid ground always use outrigger floats or mats.
- Use of a crane’s outriggers is your choice.
What are the main parts of a crane?
The Various Functions of Mobile Crane Parts
- The Driving Components. In any mobile crane, one of the common components will be the driving system used to make it mobile. …
- The Operator’s Cabin. The operator’s cabin houses all of the crane’s controls. …
- The Boom. …
- Hoist and Hook. …
- Hydraulic Pump. …
- Outriggers and Counterweights.
6 февр. 2020 г.
What must you know when using a load chart?
The load charts are specific to the make, model and configuration of a specific piece of equipment. Don’t forget to include adjustments for buckets, boom extensions, load blocks, hoisting rope and other attachments that will alter the lifting capacity of the crane or equipment used to perform the lift.
When setting up a crane on the top of a slope How far back should it be positioned?
OSHA guidance (but no actual standard) says 1.5:1. The answer may be 6 meters in the US. Dutch Crane Rental Requirements call for distance to top of slope > depth of excavation, or at least 1.5 meters.
How do you calculate crane load?
Measuring the dimensions of this triangle will allow you to achieve an accurate crane load calculation.
- The standard calculation for maximum crane capacity is (r)(hC)/100.
- R = Radius between the ground and load.
- hC = Lifting height multiplied by the capacity.
30 мар. 2020 г.
What does Outrigger mean?
1a : a projection with a float or a shaped log at the end attached to a boat to prevent capsizing. b : a spar or projecting beam run out from a ship’s side to help secure the masts or from a mast to extend a rope or sail.
How do you choose a crane capacity?
Tips On Choosing the Right Size Crane
- Calculate the maximum radius from the center of pin.
- Confirm the total weight of the load. …
- Determine clearance issues, either height under ceiling or overhead obstructions.
- Allow for the height of obstructions between crane and load.
- Consider the hook height required with lifting equipment.
6 дек. 2017 г.
Who can operate a crane?
Operators of most cranes above 2,000 lb. capacity when used in construction will need to be either certified by an accredited crane operator testing organization, such as the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO), or qualified through an audited employer program [§ 1926.1427(a)].
What part of the crane is used to lift and lower the load?
Hoist – A mechanical unit that is used for lifting and lowering a load via a hook or lifting attachment.
What are the most common crane accidents?
OSHA’s analysis of crane accidents identified the major causes of crane accidents as:
- boom or crane contact with energized power lines (nearly 45% of the cases)
- under the hook lifting device.
- overturned cranes.
- dropped loads.
- boom collapse.
- crushing by the counter weight.
- outrigger use, falls and rigging failures.
How much does a crane cost?
Mobile Crane ($125,000 – $525,000+) – A common type of crane that is transportable, but may have limited range compared to the telescopic crane.
What are the three functions of a crane?
The main purpose of a crane is to lift extremely heavy amounts of weight. A typical crane is equipped with a hoist rope, wire ropes or chains and sheaves.
Modern day cranes are used for:
- Construction Materials.
- Railroad Tracks.
- Shipping Materials/Equipment.
- Scrap Metal.
- Mobile Homes.
5 нояб. 2015 г.
What is the hook on a crane called?
A lifting hook is a device for grabbing and lifting loads by means of a device such as a hoist or crane. A lifting hook is usually equipped with a safety latch to prevent the disengagement of the lifting wire rope sling, chain or rope to which the load is attached.